BEER & CORN POT BREAD – Spring style
It’s time to take some of our cooking outdoors and enjoy the
lovely weather our country offers us! To celebrate Spring, create
an edible flower on your bread at your next Sunday braai or potjie.
500 g self-raising flour
Fresh decorations to celebrate spring
- 1 x 400 g fresh sweetcorn, pitted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 x 330 ml bottle of beer
- fresh parsley
- spring onions
- tomatoes and/or onions
1. In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients, adding
the beer at the end, to form a smooth batter. Set
aside in a warm place for 20 minutes, or until doubled
in size. Transfer the mixture to a greased cast-iron pot.
2. Decorate the bread with a floral garden, using the
rosemary, parsley and spring onions as flower
stems and grass, and sliced tomatoes and/or onions
3. Place on potjie stand over hot coals, with a couple of
coals on the lid.
4. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden.
5. Tip out of the pot and serve warm.*This bread was baked by Henriette van Zyl.
She also suggested the use of floral decorations.