Green papaya and prawn salad
• 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 tablespoon peanut oil
• 500g green prawns, peeled (tails intact), deveined
• 100g dried rice vermicelli noodles
• 1/2 medium green papaya, peeled, deseeded, grated
• 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
• 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 cup beansprouts
• 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
• 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
• 1/2 cup fresh basil leavesDressing
• 2 tablespoons fish sauce
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 tablespoon brown sugarMethod
Combine chilli, lime juice, garlic and oil in a bowl. Add prawns. Toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, if time permits.
Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Drain.
Make dressing: Place fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in a screw-top jar. Secure lid. Shake to combine.
Place papaya, spring onion, tomato, beansprouts, coriander, mint, basil and noodles in a bowl. Add dressing. Toss to combine.
Heat a frying pan over high heat. Cook prawns, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes or until pink and just cooked through.
Divide papaya mixture between plates. Top with prawns. Serve. "This is really one of my favourite salads, I ate it for the first time in Vietnam and have been making it ever since. Enjoy!
Cell: 081 450 0190